Friday, December 6, 2013

God's Equipping in the Uncertainties

Many have asked me, “So what’s ahead?” And my usual answer is, “I don’t have a clue.” God has given me the privilege of a year to work through my grief and prepare for the future. I’m praying for his guidance and for preparation both of my heart and in practical skills, and I saw a specific answer to that prayer in Ethiopia.


Background: Over the course of Steve’s illness, I found I lost my ability to memorize scripture. It just would not stick in my brain, so I continued my through-the-Bible reading and dug deep into the Psalms and prayer. Oddly, just two weeks after Steve transferred to heaven, I realized my mind was clear, and I could memorize again. I felt desperate for a renewed vision of ministry, because for 36 years we've been a team, serving together was our DNA as a couple. What would ministry look like now? How could I even look forward it? 

For this reason, I chose 2 Corinthians 2:14-6:10. I finished memorizing it in mid-September, by the end of my trip out east. I've been meditating on it nearly daily since that time. When I arrived in Ethiopia, I found out that John Piper and Jason Meyer were speaking at a conference hosted by ETC (Evangelical Theological College where Steve taught). I debated about going since I had so many people to see in three short weeks, but in the end I decided that I might meet up with many of Steve's former students and that maybe God was blessing me with a spiritual retreat. 

I didn't know what their topic was until Jason Meyer announced in the first session that they would be covering 2 Corinthians chapters 1-5. I couldn't hold back the tears - God is intent on equipping me. He really wants me to get this passage! I still don't know what is ahead, but God is clearly at work getting me ready for his surprise package. Thank you for praying for my future - God is answering! 

6 comments:

  1. We love how the Lord ministers to us through His Word -- sometimes in unexpected ways, like reinforcing a passage through multiple sources. God doesn't waste His resources, Marcia, and you are a Kingdom treasure. We know His plans for you are perfect, and we pray you will have His peace and joy as you trust Him for the next step.

    Much love in Messiah,
    Wes and Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so wonderful to see the Lord blessing you and confirming your path. You taught me so much about the grace of God and how He touches us in so many ways. What a joy to know that you are embracing this journey. Know that my prayers are with you every day. With much love, Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marcia,

    Thanks so much for this update...we appreciate the window into your Ethiopia trip and the blessings it brought. What a great experience! We continue to pray for you and your future steps... Love you so much!

    Ken & Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Marcia, isn't God good!? Thank you for continuing to keep us updated. I was just praying for you (and Naomi) this morning. May God give you His guidance and the patience to WAIT for HIS timing. Let us know when you're heading to California so we can see you! - Shari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcia, what a testimony! Such a special affirming hug from our loving Savior and God. I really like hearing from you and follow you in prayer. God bless you this Christmas season...a new big step in a new season. So glad you will be with family. A precious new baby is a very sweet gift at this time for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your prayers, Martha. I'm very grateful. May you have a very blessed and merry Christmas as well!

    ReplyDelete