Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Singing a Prayer of My Heart

Wednesday night I slipped into the church sanctuary alone and practiced the song below, then sat down in the pew where we usually sat. I wept as I looked up at the platform where he used to sit adding rich brass tones to our congregational singing. I grieved that on Sunday when I finished my solo, I would not come down to sit with him, have him reach over and squeeze my hand and whisper, "Good job." But I also gave thanks: for a husband who loved to worship, who shared many wonderful music ministry moments with me, who encouraged and taught me. And I thanked God that he wasn't finished using me in service for him and asked that as I sang this prayer on Sunday, he would edify this Body of Christ which has so lavishly loved me. To God's glory alone, I was able to sing with a steady voice throughout. It expresses my heart.

Jesus, Draw me every nearer,
As I labor through the storm,
You have called me to this passage,
And I'll follow, though I'm worn.

Chorus
May this journey bring a blessing,
May I rise on wings of faith,
And at the end of my heart's testing,
With Your likeness, let me wake.

Jesus, guide me through the tempest,
Keep my spirit stayed and sure,
When the midnight meets the morning,
Let me love You even more.  Chorus

Let the treasures of the trial
Form within me as I go,
And at the end of this long passage,
Let me leave them at your throne.   Chorus

Keith and Kristyn Getty 

7 comments:

  1. Dear Marcia,
    I love Keith and Kristen Getty, but had not heard this song. What beautiful words! I know that God will honor this prayer to him. I thank him with you for how he continues to use you to bless others. May you feel his presence with you as your travel these next weeks, and may your time in Ethiopia be a rich time of reconnecting with dear friends, seeing God's faithfulness, and healing.
    In Christ's love,
    Chris Davidson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marcia, I thought about you yesterday and wondered if you were gone. Praying for you as you continue on this journey. May God bless you and keep you and may His face shine upon you and be gracious unto you; may you see His face and know His peace. Love Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. Only God could make it possible to sing those words in that place with a steady voice. Thanks be to him. We've prayed for the blessing of this trip for you with your Ethiopian brothers and sisters who can share life with you as only they know how. We are grateful for the privilege of friendship and prayer with you and are confident God will bless you and those you are with while you are there. love and prayers, Ken and phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been praying for you whenever I think of you Marcia, which is often. Thank you for allowing God to speak through you on Sunday through this beautiful song. You and Steve both have been a tremendous blessing to us as you allowed God to use you through some of life's most painful circumstances. I pray that your time in Ethiopia is full and rich and brings further healing to your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You shared this experience on Skype the other night, but we did not know the song. Oh Marcia, I do not know how you did it...God's grace and your abilities...As you co-labor with Christ in Ethiopia, may you fully live each moment as you so well have been doing thus far. Your co-labor is one of both giving and receiving there, and fully living this life He has given. Oh how we pray for you, looking forward to hearing once more how much He has done in, through, and for you and that the name of the Lord Jesus Christ be glorified in you and you in Him. Love, Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was beautifully sung and touched hearts deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did better than me if you sang it without tears. I just didn't. We're praying you have a blessed trip!

    ReplyDelete